Do’s and don’ts of communicating in a busy environment
Posted by Hearing Health Care on December 11, 2018
Hearing aids are amazing! But even people with normal hearing can sometimes struggle in loud environments. If you find yourself in a busy environment, these tips can help.
1. Do look at the people you are speaking with. We all use visual cues whether we realize it or not.
2. Do try to situate yourself in good lighting to see everyone’s face.
3. Do sit close to the people you want to talk to.
4. Do use accessories like your remote microphone to help you hear more clearly.
5. Do remember listening in a busy environment can make everyone tired. So take a break when you need it.
1. Don’t pretend to hear and understand if you don’t. Ask the person to repeat it if you miss something.
2. Don’t try to hide your hearing loss.
3. Don’t try to communicate from another room. Go to the person you want to talk to.
4. Don’t interrupt. More topic cues will come if you allow the speaker to finish their thought.
5. Don’t be embarrassed to ask for what you need — like something to be repeated or to move to a different space to talk. You are just as important as the person speaking.
For more tips, contact us today.